Buffering – a word which we all hate when our favorite movie stops right in the middle of a thrilling scene. Much of our time gets wasted under such circumstances. The entire responsibility of all these frustrations levies to only one thing, the network router that delivers poor internet connectivity. Indeed, if you had the best wireless router, you will never have faced such situations! Isn’t it?
10 Best Wireless Routers 2019
From reading course books during examinations to playing games to watching movies for spending our leisure time, we always desire to have the best internet connectivity. And, all you need to do to enjoy these routine activities with an uninterrupted internet connection is to buy yourself the best wireless router. Here we give a detailed overview about some of the best wireless routers available on the market.
Now that we have discussed what wireless routers are, and which traits should they necessarily possess to get themselves qualified as the best wireless router, we now list down some of the top 10 routers that are certainly outperforming all other wired and wireless internet routers thanks to their excellent features.
1- Netgear Wireless Routers
NETGEAR R6400 AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Dual Band Gigabyte Router – Router with the super cat speed!
This router model comes with external antenna which enables it to provide swift Wi-Fi. The antennas cover a wide range for 12 or more devices. The router also supports wireless connection with other devices even in big homes. It is 3 times faster than other similar models. This wireless router has the best USB storage access speed among similar models like R6100, R6220 and R6250.
- Processor: dual core 800 MHz
- 3 external antennas
- Data transfer rate – 1750MB per seconds
- 2 USB ports (1USB 2.0 & 1USB 3.0 – which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0).
- Wireless capability is 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
- Dimensions (LWH): 9.84in x 12.91in 3.74in respectively
- Weight: 0.5 pounds
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart R6700 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router – speeds up mobile devices 100 x faster
This model offers an incredible Wi-Fi speed up to 1750Mbps (dual band 450 plus 1300 Mbps) which is very suitable for gaming. The 1GHz dual core processor enhances wireless and wired performance. This router’s quality of service is advanced downstream and upstream. It is VPN support enabled as well. This router is very easy to set up and you can test its speed with your mobile device.
- Data transfer rate is 1750MB per seconds
- 3 external antennas
- 4 LAN ports.
- 1 USB 3.0 port
- Weighs: 1.65 pounds
- Dimensions (LWH): 11.22in x 7.26in x 1.97in respectively
2 – Linksys Wireless Routers
Linksys has launched several impressive devices within an affordable range to increase their customership. These routers ensure that you enjoy the same networking level experienced by any other user with a high-end router. This range of wireless routers will show how you can get the top-notch connectivity features without costing a fortune. Continuing our review for the best wireless routers, we now include some startling devices from Linksys and Cisco Linksys brands.
Linksys AC1750 Max-Stream EA7300 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router – Compatible with stream range extender
This model offers a swift Wi-Fi that does not lag irrespective of the number of devices connected to it. It distributes a specific Wi-Fi signal with equal speed and time to series of devices connected to it. It is capable of supporting high bandwidth activities such as 4k streaming, online gaming due to the combination of dual band speed. For better output you can connect it with a Linksys Max Stream range extender. This will enable you enjoy a smooth connection within your home. Its connectivity technology supports Wi-Fi and wired connections.The product dimensions (LBH) are 2.2 inches by 10.12 inches by 7.24 inches respectively.
- 1 USB 3.0
- 3 external antennas to boost its signal strength.
- Dual band speed is 1.7Gbps
- Weighs: 3.2 pounds
- Dimensions (LWH) : 2.2in x 10.12in x 7.24in respectively
- Wireless compatibility is 802.11a/b/g/n, 801.11 AC, 802 A/B, 802.11A
Linksys AC2600 Max Stream EA8500 Dual Band Wireless Router– Best in Wi-Fi technology
Its hardware platforms include PC and Mac. It requires a lithium ion battery. It supports wired and wireless connectivity. This model also works well for high band activities and heavy network traffic at a uniform speed of 2.3 Gbps. That is why it gives you a seamless gaming experience without any network interruption from other connected devices. No wonder it is referred to as the best in terms of WiFi technology. This router is available in black color.
- The data transfer rate is 2600MB per seconds
- Its wireless compatibility is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.
- 1 USB 3.0 port & 4 LAN ports.
- Weighs: 2.11 pounds.
- The dimensions (LWH): 9.76in x 7.68in x 2.01in respectively
This Router can be easily installed and managed. Its WPA1/WPA2 and SPI firewall can prevent unauthorized users. With its data transfer rate it provides the maximum speed, best range and simultaneous dual band technology to bring the ultimate wireless network into the home for the best network experience. The simultaneous dual band wireless technology enhances seamless streaming of videos online. It also comes with a built in USB port.
- 3 external antennas for enhancing signal strengths.
- Wireless compatibility is 802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11n.
- Data transfer rate is 750MB per seconds.
- Weighs: 0.79 pounds
- Dimensions (LWH): 12in x 3in x 9in respectively.
3 – TP-LINK Wireless Routers
TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Gigabit Dual Band Router – Suitable for all internet plans
This model comes with antennas for optimum positioning of Wi-Fi signal. The 3 external antennas can be directed to focus the Wi-Fi signal in some particular area in the home. The dual bandwidth creates the swift Wi-Fi speed which enables simultaneous connection of all your devices at home. The dual bandwidths are also suitable for high bandwidths activities such as online of videos and online gaming. The TP-Link Tether app let you configure the router with ease as well as keeping your home network in check at home or outside the home.
- Dual bandwidths (2.4GHz and 5GHz).
- 6 antennas (3 external and 3 internal).
- 2 USB 2.0 ports.
- Its processor is single core while its data transfer rate is about 1750Mbps.
- Its gigabit Ethernet ports are suitable for all internet plans.
- Warranty period: 1 year + 24 hours technical assistance at no cost from the manufacturer
4 – Asus Wireless Routers
This model is one of the fastest Wi-FI routers available in the market. The 5 GHz bandwidth provides 1300 Mbps 802.11ac with the turbo boost of 2.4 GHz 802.11n that offers about 600 Mbps. It uses only wireless connectivity technology. Its operating systems (OS) are window 7, window 8 and Mac OS.
- The combination of the dual bandwidths provides a Wi-Fi speed of about 1900 Mbps.
- Dual bandwidths (2.4GHz and 5 GHz).
- Its wireless compatibility is 802.11A/C, 5.8GHz Radio Frequency, 802.11 a/b/g/n.
- 4 Local Area Network (LAN) ports.
- 2 USB ports (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) for connections of external devices
- Weighs: 1.4 pounds.
- Dimensions (LWH): 3.3in x 6.3in x 8.6in
5 – Medialink Wireless Router
Sometimes, people look for something amazingly simple, just enough to fulfill their needs. The same happens with wireless routers too. Not everyone is tech-savvy! So, for those who just need a wireless router good enough to handle their routine activities with an average to good connection speed, here is a cheap and classy wireless router for you.
Medialink MWN-WAPR150N Wireless Router – Can stick just right on the wall!
This model goes with trendy wireless safety features like creation of passwords and firewall to prevent unauthorized connections to your network and safeguard it from threats as well. With the 2.4 GHz bandwidth you can stream videos online, play games, chat on social media like Skype … It comes with internal antenna alone and can be attached to the wall to save space. Its connectivity technology is wireless only and its very compatible with operating systems such as Mac, PC, Linux. The WHQL is certified by Microsoft which makes it work well with Window 7, Windows Vista, Windows Xp and Windows 2000 (including Window 8, Mac and Linux).
- Wireless technology is 802.11bgn.
- 2 Ethernet Wide Area Network (WAN) ports and 4 local area (LAN) ports for direct connection to computer system.
- The data transfer rate is 150 MB per seconds.
- Weighs: 0.9 pounds
- Dimensions (LWH): 6.2in x 8.5in x 3.4in
6 – Google Routers
With all other innovative artifacts, during the past few years, Google has presented its amazing wireless routers, the OnHub, and the Google WIFI. Let’s take a look on what these devices are.
Google on Hub – Supports connection to 100 devices or more
The google on hub router was designed to create fast Wi-fi with the speed of about 1900MB per second to make you enjoy a seamless streaming of videos, online games and other web activities. Its network can cover up to 2500 square feet in your home. More than 100 devices can be linked to it at once.
This wireless router can be installed easily using built-in app. You can even control your network from your phone device. It also has auto update of security to prevent your network from threats and unauthorized access. Network access can be prioritized.
- Data transfer rate is 1900MB per seconds.
- Doubles bandwidths of 2.4GHz (600MBs) and 5 GHz (1300MBs) which enables it eradicate dead zones.
- 13 strong internal antennas.
This model also comes with a built-in app to let you set it up with ease. This app let you view devices connected to your router and even hold on the connection on children’s devices. A single model of Google Wi-Fi can provide connection signal for 1500 square feet.
- Wireless compatibility is 2.4 GHz Radio Frequency, 5GHz Radio Frequency, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (double bandwidths).
- 2 Ethernet gigabit ports (Wide Area Network and Local Area Network).
- It mode of connectivity is 2×2 802.11ac Wave 2 + BLE
- Dimensions (LWH): 4.17in x 4.17in x 2.7in
- Weighs: 0.74 pounds
- Available in white color
How To Select The Best Wireless Router?
Buying a wireless router is not as easy as it sounds. You just can’t go to the market, buy a router, take it to your home and get started. As these devices are usually expensive, make sure that you spend your amount at the appropriate router. We see most people complaining about the performance of network routers they have in their homes. Nevertheless, it is not always the device’s fault for poor internet connectivity. Sometimes, the router is just not the right choice for your place. Instead of paying heed to word of mouth, it is better if you decide it yourself that which router suits you the most. You can choose any router on the basis of certain specifications which it offers, such as the signal range, wireless protocols, bands, etc. For a layman, these terminologies may be unfamiliar. Hence, here we explain in brief about these terms so that the next time you are going to buy a router, you would be able to judge which brand can serve as the best home wireless router by making use of your background knowledge.
Wireless Routers Parameters:
Some Frequently Asked Questions About Routers
What Is Routing?
The term ‘routing’ actually refers to the selection of an appropriate pathway within a network for data transmittance. The devices which perform this activity are called ‘routers’. In terms of computing, routing refers to the transmission of data packets from one destination to the other, such as from modem to a computer, or a computer to another computer connected within the same network. The best network routers are judged on the basis of their routing ability. The quicker and smoother the data transmittance is, the better will be the featuring router since it exhibits good routing traits.
What Is A Router? What Does It Do?
A router is meant to create a network of several devices for fast communication. This network may either form solely from multiple computers, or you can link your laptops, smartphones, and other gadgets with the same network as well. This network between the devices may either be a cabled linkage, or may form wirelessly. Today, wireless connections are more preferred by the users around the world. Hence, wireless routers have a huge demand.
Connecting to a network through a router does not mean that you are connected to the internet too. For achieving the purpose of getting internet connectivity from a router, you must necessarily link them with a modem. That’s why every wired or wireless router bears at least one WAN Ethernet port for a modem connection.
The router carries the IP address provided by the ISP (Internet Service Provider), which serves as the external IP address for all devices connected with it. Whereas, they all are assigned with a different local internal IP address by the router.
What Is The Difference Between A Router And A Modem?
Router and modem both are computer peripherals. But they differ markedly from each other. The router is solely meant to join multiple computers or other devices in the same network either through some wired connection or wirelessly. However, connecting to a router does not ensure that you get connected to the internet too. In fact, routers can never link you to the internet on their own.
The device which connects you to the internet is a ‘modem’ (an abbreviated word for Modulator-Demodulator). Modems are meant to provide connectivity from the ISP (Internet Service Provider) to any device that gets linked to it.
Routers, when connected to a modem, can provide internet connection to several devices, whereas a modem in itself can only support a single device. That is why, the use of routers has become a necessity since they allow multiple gadgets to access the internet together, which is convenient for most internet users.
What Is The Difference Between A Router And A Switch?
Switches and routers both are affiliated with networking, there lies a major difference in these two peripherals. Switches ‘create’ network, whereas, routers actually link the networks. Precisely, a switch is the is meant to control the transmittance of across multiple devices, allowing them to connect together forming a network. Switches work over LANs and link a computer to other devices creating a single network. They function as active software devices as well as networking devices. However, they never offer internet connectivity.
In case of routers, they are devised to allows connections between multiple devices across the networks. A router is typically a networking device that can connect a LAN to another LAN. Moreover, routers support transmission and distribution of internet connectivity as well.
What Is Bridge Mode Router?
A bridge mode router is the one that functions as a modem ‘only’. The word ‘bridging’ refers to developing connections with data transmittance across the devices. But this ability is more attributed to the hardware, unlike ‘routing’ that is more based on software. The bridge mode routers do not support any of the features offered with ‘routing’, such as wireless connectivity, DHCP, firewall, etc. These routers only allow your computer to connect to the modem.
How to Choose the Best Wireless Router?
The best wireless router is hence the one that offers high-speed internet connection, strong wireless signals over a long range, dual- or tri-band functionality for efficient performance, network security, and support for higher wireless standards or protocols for handling multiple connections with the same performance.
The choice of router entirely depends on an individual’s own requirements. Trusting on word of mouth will only cause you a loss since it’s really not necessary that the other person advising you about a particular router has the same requirements as you. Therefore, make sure to consider the following things before you choose a router.
- Price – That’s indeed the most important thing. Decide a particular price range prior going to the market, so as to narrow down your search limits. When you have a fixed budget, you automatically focus on those routers that best meet your demands and your budget. Otherwise, the myriad of high-end wired and wireless routers will only make you confused about the selection, sometimes compelling you to spend money on expensive routers that actually do not serve you well.
- Wireless or wired routing – Wireless routers may sometimes be a bit slower than the wired ones, but they tend to support multiple connections at a time. Choose the one that suits you.
- Wireless Range – The range of wireless determines for how long from your router you will be able to enjoy a fast and smooth internet speed. Make sure that the range of the router goes well with the size of your workstation, or your home.
- Signal strength – Some routers despite claiming to have a broader coverage, show poor connectivity due to weak signals. If you have multiple devices in your workplace or are intending to place your router in a crowded area, make sure that the signal strength of the router isn’t affected by the distance or these hurdles.
- Wireless Protocols – There are various standards of the wireless protocols for different routers which work wirelessly. These protocols determine the number of connections your router can hold efficiently.
- Wireless bands – Most of the wireless routers get stuck while functioning on lower radio signal bands, since these bands tend to be crowded with the data signals from other wireless devices. However, the routers working on higher wireless bands can efficiently manage the data traffic by dividing the load over multiple frequency bands. Therefore, choose a router that is capable of working as a dual-band or tri-band
- Wireless Security – last, but the most important thing to look for, is the security features offered by your router. Today, the routers featuring WPA/WPA2 security levels are becoming popular since they allow password enabled secured connections between the devices, so as to protect against the random access from the intruders or hackers. This is a key feature to be checked and enabled for any wireless router you buy, since, if remain unprotected, the wireless connections are extremely vulnerable to hacking with minimal efforts.
- Design – After getting impressed by the features, you may buy a router that doesn’t really fits into the workstation. It will hence be a wastage of your money and efforts. Therefore, choose the one that has a design suitable for your workplace. You will find several elegant and stylishly designed routers in the market to choose from.
WRAPPING IT UP
You may find several wireless routers in the market today, each claiming to deliver the best performance. They may or not be the best regarding the design and the functionality. However, the ultimate decision would be yours that which device suits you the most. Believing on the word of mouth or other promotional stuff will only frustrate you in the long run since you are likely to make wrong decisions after being impressed with the flattering content. You actually need a wireless router that efficiently caters your requirements. Therefore, we have attempted to present to you a comprehensive review about some of the best wireless routers available in the market, along with a brief guide about how you would proceed to make a choice. We hope this review will benefit you the next time you go out to purchase a wireless router.
Top Rated Wireless Routers